Tuesday, February 19, 2013

No. 50: Whiteness

In Bird's passage on whiteness, he describes how white is "is more than a color or absence of color," rather it is purposefully used by artists to evoke certain meanings. Artists often use white when talking about spirituality in their work, and is often linked to purity and religion. White was also a characteristic of Greek sculptures, especially figurative ones with flowing contours. The Neoclassical style in particular embraced the color white in its poetic and sensual compositions, but was also adopted again with the emergence of minimalism.

When I see the color white, I think of the words clean, soft, angelic, and quiet. I would like to create a painting of "silence" used only whites and its tonal values. If whispers could be captured on a canvas, I think they would be white. I could also explore whiteness in a tactile piece by using materials that think "feel" like the color white (i.e. silk, cotton balls, fur). Or perhaps I could take a different approach on whiteness too discuss emotional emptiness. When I think about this, a blank, cold white room comes to mind, a room so bare that it would produce echos.

No comments:

Post a Comment